Bougie Miles may receive commissions from certain affiliates. BougieMiles.com has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. BougieMiles.com and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
The American Express Platinum Card is one of the most coveted travel credit cards in the market, and for good reason. In addition to its generous sign-up bonus and premium travel benefits, the card offers a $200 hotel credit each year, which can be redeemed at select hotels worldwide. The $200 credit can be used on Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts and Hotel Collection bookings.
If you’re a Platinum Card member wondering how to redeem this valuable perk, you’ve come to the right place. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to use your $200 hotel credit:
Step By Step – How to Use the Amex Platinum Hotel Credit
Step 1: Find eligible hotels To redeem your $200 hotel credit
To redeem your $200 credit for a hotel stay, you must book your stay through the American Express Travel portal. To find eligible hotels, log in to your American Express account and navigate to the “Travel” section. From there, click on “Book Hotels” and select your desired destination. You’ll see a list of eligible hotels that accept the $200 credit. The FHR and Hotel Collection hotels show up at the top of the search results- just make sure it’s labeled as either FHR or HC (see the photo above for reference- the FHR stays are highlighted in gray and Hotel Collection are blue.)
Step 2: Book your stay
Once you’ve selected your hotel, choose your travel dates and room type. Make sure to enter your American Express Platinum Card information when prompted to ensure that you receive the credit.
Step 3: Check your statement
Make sure you check your American Express statement to ensure that the $200 credit was applied. The credit should appear as a statement credit within 2-4 weeks of your eligible purchase. In reality, the credit has been applied to my eligible stays typically within a week of the charge posting.
Tips for maximizing your $200 hotel credit
- Check prices periodically to see if the price of the hotel drops after you book. I recently checked the price of a stay I had made months ago to find that it had dropped $200 a night.
- Plan ahead to make sure you use your credit before it expires at the end of each calendar year (you don’t have to stay by the end of the year but you do have to make sure you pay and book the stay by 12/31.)
- Combine your $200 credit with other hotel discounts and promotions to save even more money- if you book an FHR stay you’ll also get a $100 credit, free breakfast and more.
- Book each night separately if you have more than one Platinum credit to use- you probably won’t get the benefits of FHR like the $100 credit more than once but you can certainly save on the cost of each night.
Also Read: Guide Amex Airline Credit: How to Choose Your Airline
- For 2023, you have until 12/31/2023 to make an eligible booking.
- This Platinum Card benefit will renew each calendar year.
- The credit does not have to be used all at once- it can be applied to multiple bookings (good luck finding eligible stays less than $200 though- Vegas is a good place to look.)
Amex $200 Hotel Credit- FHR and The Hotel Collection
In conclusion, the American Express Platinum Card’s $200 hotel credit is a valuable perk that can help you save money on luxury travel. By following these simple steps and tips, you can make the most of this benefit and enjoy a memorable stay at one of the many eligible hotels worldwide. Happy travels!
Does the business platinum have $200 hotel credit
The Business Platinum is not eligible for the $200 hotel credit, only the Personal Platinum card comes with the annual credit.
Does Amex hotel credit reset every year?
Yes, the Amex Platinum Prepaid Hotel credit resets every year on January 1st.
Leave a Reply