2020 MGM Mlife REWARDS GUIDE (PLUS EARNING AND REDEEMING TIER CREDITS, REWARDS CREDITS AND BENEFITS)
Mlife Rewards Guide
The “Bougie Miles Mlife Rewards Guide” will show you all of the different ways you can earn Mlife Rewards Tier Credits for status and the three types of redeemable rewards known as Points, Express Comps and FreePlay. In the near future I’ll be posting specific articles on how to maximize value and benefits from Mlife and this guide will be a reference. I would love to hear which aspects of earning and redeeming rewards you'd all like to know more about.
MLife is the loyalty program of MGM Resorts International, an S&P 500 global entertainment company with more than 30 unique casino focused properties worldwide. Expanding throughout the U.S. and around the world, the company recently acquired the operations of Empire City Casino in New York and Hard Rock in Ohio, which was rebranded as MGM Northfield Park. In 2018, MGM Resorts opened MGM Springfield in Massachusetts, MGM COTAI in Macau, and the first Bellagio-branded hotel in Shanghai.
Check Out the Bougie Miles YouTube Channel for all Things Vegas and Casino Loyalty
The Mlife Rewards Program gives members perks and benefits based on elite status levels. Elite status is based on the number of tier credits each player earns during the year. Mlife Rewards gives members opportunities to redeem rewards points for gaming, entertainment, retail purchases and hotel spend. Something that Mlife does that sets it apart from other casino loyalty programs is the ability for two eligible M life Rewards members residing at the same address to link accounts to share certain benefits. This includes sharing comped nights or discounted room rates, which is a huge perk since most casinos require the comped player to be present at check in for all discounted stays.
Mlife Rewards has some interesting program quirks. Elite benefits and earnings can differ depending on where you're staying. For example, something interesting I just learned is that you get a monthly buffet credit upwards of $50 if you're staying at Beau Rivage- that's awesome!
Benefits include on site discounts, the ability to earn and redeem rewards, and exclusive member benefits with Mlife Partners.
Mlife Rewards has five main elite status levels;
- Sapphire (entry level),
- Noir (invitation only)
How to Earn Mlife Rewards Elite Status
- Status Match Promotion
- Mlife does not offer regular promotions allowing elite members from other casino Programs to receive a comparable tier match. BUT there is an exception: The Borgata in Atlantic City matches to M life Gold for new members. Check the Promo Page for qualifying partners and eligible status levels.
- Status Match from World of Hyatt
- World of Hyatt can match to a reciprocal status in M Life Rewards (and Vice-versa). Match Page.
- (World Of Hyatt Credit Card gives members Discoverist Status)
- Mlife Rewards Mastercard currently Offers Pearl to cardholders
- Military Appreciation Program offers active duty, vets and their spouses complimentary Pearl Status
- Earn status the old fashioned way by racking up enough Tier Credits
Mlife Tiers: Tier Credit Requirements for M life rewards Elite Status (Updated for Covid – through December 31, 2020 the tier credit requirements for each tier are reduced by 20%.
- Sapphire (entry level)
- Pearl: 25,000 Tier Credits (20,000 TCs for 2020)
- Gold: 75,000 Tier Credits (60,000 TCs for 2020)
- Platinum: 200,000 Tier Credits (150,000 TCs for 2020)
- Noir (invitation only)
- Earn Points and Express Comps Redeemable at all M life Rewards Destinations
- Exclusive Access to Mobile Check-In via MGM Resorts Mobile App
- Personalized Offers and Room Discounts on mlife.com
All the perks of Sapphire membership, along with:
- 10% Bonus on Points Earned Playing Slots AND Extended Expiration
- Dedicated Line at Participating Buffets
- Complimentary Self-Parking
All Benefits of Pearl, plus:
- 20% Bonus on Points Earned Playing Slots
- Priority Hotel Check-in Line at the Front Desk
- Complimentary Valet Parking at Las Vegas Destinations
All the benefits of Gold membership, and more:
- 30% Bonus on Points Earned Playing Slots
- Priority Access for Valet and Taxi Service
- Annual Complimentary Cruise for Qualifying Members on Royal Caribbean or Celebrity Cruises
NOIR – By invitation only
- 40% Bonus on Points Earned Playing Slots
- Guaranteed Advance Hotel and Restaurant Reservations
- Complimentary Limousine Service to/from Nearest Airport with Hotel Stay
How to Earn Elite Qualifying Tier Credits
M Life Rewards has two different types of points and credits that members earn through specified activities: Qualifying Credits (aka Tier Credits) and Redeemable Rewards (Points). Tier Credits are used to determine your elite status with M life.
M life Tier Credits are status credits that are added up to determine a members annual Tier point total which determines the member’s elite status (known as Tier Status within M life). The more Tier Credits you earn, the better status and benefits you’ll get.
UPDATE (NEW as of 2020) Tier Credits earned from January 1 to December 31 qualify you for your tier beginning February 1.* If you advance to a higher tier at any time you’ll get the benefits for at least one year since you'll have the higher status in the year it's earned, plus the following year. If you advance to a higher tier at any time, you’ll get those benefits at least one year.
*For this year only, Tier Credits earned from October 1, 2019 to December 31, 2020 qualify you for your 2021 tier level beginning February 1, 2021.
How to Earn Tier Credits
M life is a bit different than the other popular casino loyalty programs including Caesars when it comes to earning tier credits. The rate at which you earn tier credits is partially based on geographic location. If you're in Vegas at any of the participating properties listed below, you earn 25 Tier Credits per dollar spend (on non gaming activity). All other national locations earn 8 Tier credits per dollar in spend (so about 1/3).
- Gambling: Varies based on the specific type of gaming. Earning Details for each activity can be found here.
- SLOTS AND VIDEO POKER (10 Tier Credits for every base point earned)
- TABLE GAMES (Tier Credits based on length of play and average bet)
- Hotel Stays, retail purchases, entertainment and hospitality spend: Earn 25 Tier Credits for every $1 spent in LV and 8 everywhere else.
- Promotions- last year M life offered 3x tier credits from mid August until the end of the qualification period in October
- World of Hyatt Stays– You can earn 8 tier credits per dollar when you stay at Hyatt hotels.
How to Redeem Rewards
M life has 3 Types of Redeemable Rewards that can be used for things like free nights, merchandise and free play. Redeemable rewards are earned through both casino play and other qualifying activity based on spending including entertainment activities at M life destinations.
NOTE: Redeemable rewards are not earned on hotel spend or any other non gaming activity.
Express Comps (can't be used for free play)
- Slots and video poker are the only ways to earn express comps unless you are playing in Michigan and Mississippi where you can earn Express Comps on table games
- Earn Express Comps for table games play based on your average bet and time played at Beau Rivage, Gold Strike Tunica, Borgata, MGM Grand Detroit, MGM National Harbor, and MGM Springfield
- Redeem Express Comps for hotel accommodations, dining, entertainment, M life Rewards Moments and more at any M life Rewards destination
Points (earned on slot play and the M life Rewards Mastercard)
- Earn Points when playing your favorite slots or video poker machines
- Redeem your Points for FREEPLAY (simply select POINTPlay from the menu at any slot machine)
- Convert points to Express Comps at any M life Rewards desk
- Free slot play is only available at the casino where you converted points to FREEPLAY
Luckily I hit quite a few of these small jackpots.
Mlife Rewards Guide: Maximize Rewards with Partners
Although tier credits and spend at Mlife properties don't earn you redeemable rewards for MGM properties you can earn valuable rewards from several partners.
World of Hyatt
Mlife stays at participating resorts earn 5 World of Hyatt Base Points per eligible dollar spent.
- MGM Grand®,
- The Signature at MGM Grand®,
- Mandalay Bay®,
- Delano Las Vegas,
- Park MGM™,
- NoMad Las Vegas®,
- The Mirage®,
- Monte Carlo™,
- New York New York™,
- Luxor® and
- (Although Circus Circus is owned by MGM Resorts International, it is not a participating M life Rewards destination and therefore is not part of this relationship.)
Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruise Lines
Mlife members with Gold Tier status and above receive an on-board credit ($125 and up) in addition to welcome amenities and priority check in. Even better, Platinum and Noir Members receive a free cruise each year.
Southwest Rapid Rewards
Earn 600 Rapid Rewards Points for each qualifying stay at all Las Vegas M life Rewards destinations: Bellagio, ARIA, VdarA, MGM Grand, The Signature at MGM Grand, Mandalay Bay, Delano Las Vegas, Park MGM Las Vegas, The Mirage, New York – New York, Luxor, and Excalibur.
Final Thoughts: M life Rewards Guide
The M life Rewards program isn't exactly generous when it comes to rewarding players or hotel guests, but MGM sets its self apart from the competition by having some of the nicest casino properties in the world. The inability to earn redeemable rewards credits on spending makes its utility very limited for anyone who doesn't gamble. However, World of Hyatt points are extremely valuable and those are earned for all participating resort stays. Additionally, gamblers will benefit from enhanced earnings for play and generous comps in Vegas. There are some easily accessible shortcuts to earning status so even non gamers can access elite program benefits. As I mentioned earlier, we’re going to do a whole series on how to maximize certain benefits and extract as much value as possible from rewards and I'll continue to update this Mlife Rewards Guide as necessary.
Bougie Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. BougieMiles.com and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.